08 June 2009

Los Angeles, my Los Angeles V

continuation of Fourth of the restaurant/food rounds: anything Filipino, Part 2.1

The great part about eating Filipino food down here is getting to bask in it with my family. Hence, anything Filipino, Part 2.1: dinner from Arko Foods in Glendale.
Buko buko buko juice! Buko juice, more commonly known as coconut water, was a staple when I was growing up. Yeah, it's kinda packed with sugar, but some brands aren't as sweet as others. Our brand of choice has been Sarap, and a gigantic can is about $1.00 at most markets. [The coconut water sold at Berkeley's RSF is around $2.75, and you get less than half of the amount! Blargh!]
Sisig! This was my favorite to devour when I was in the Philippines last summer. These chunks of pork were a little bit big, but still oh-so-good.
Pancit Palabok. I have to say, I'm not a big enough fan of pancit to order it from a restaurant ::hides behind large wooden spoon:: BUT, I'd still eat it if it were around :).
Turon! Ack, how I love these. When I was in middle school, I'd eat as many
of these tasty deep-fried delights as my stomach could hold; I was fortunate enough to have stayed at the Saniano residence everyday after school for three years. Yes, Jannice, your family kept me well fed.
[turon = springroll wrapper + plantain + jackfruit (optional) + sugary coating]

No comments: